1st Update: 18.03.16
2nd Update: 25.03.16
3rd Update: 31.03.16
4th Update: 02.04.16
5th Update: 09.04.16
6th Update: 18.04.16
For this project, I had built a larger set of kaleidoscope mirrors. We brought the two mirrors out to experiment but quickly realised the larger mirror was too heavy to be any useful. I tried replicating the same swirly effect for the indoor shoot, but the results had not been fruitful. Throughout the process, I had relied on the original set of small mirrors.
For every 250 raw images of the indoor shoot was roughly two hours of processing in lightroom, and then another thirty mins of rendering to sequence in premiere pro.
For the first two attempts, I reshot the time-lapse sequences again, and with the lights as how I did for my still images. I experimented with the large kaleidoscope mirrors, but it was too heavy for me to last throughout the session. I eventually used the smaller one for all the sequences. After to two hours of rendering in Lightroom, I lay them out in premiere pro and see how the effects went. I didn’t like the outcome.
Although the effect came out as I have somewhat imagined, I didn’t like the outcome, for two reasons: one, the laptop screen wasn’t well hidden away and the edge of the screen is visible in the daylight sequences. two, somehow the night image looked better.
Lucy thought the light streaks were a little too much.
The next challenge was to solve the amount and speed of the light streaks. It was almost impossible to maintain the steady rotation speed for all 250 images. so on my next attempt, I did one sequence in two separate layers. I shot 50 frames (two seconds) of the light streak and overlay them onto the sequence in loops (test3). This way, I could remotely control the speed of the light streaks (test 5) however I want.
On my final attempt, I returned back to Mousehold Heath again, picking a clear night sky. Each image was a 20 sec exposure for 20 sec interval and 9 seconds worth of images. The time lapsing began at 1 am and lasted for about two hours.
The next part took another half a day to produce the final sequence. This time, I used my black mousepad to cover the keyboard, plus the light streak sequence slowed down to about 50% speed.
Variation Two (Final result)
My first thought of the final sequence was quite interesting itself. I had not thought that a time-lapse sequence could be further developed in this way. Although I had no part in the filming process, Lucy was able to zoom in on certain portions of the sequence and yet retain its quality. I thought perhaps the video could be improved if there was a proper opening and ending title sequence.
During our collaboration process, we try to make the most of our differences. This enables a deeper synthesis of our ideas. Our research was based on each of our previous developments for our courses, and we used the right tools for our work. Our guiding principles were that we externalize our thinking, presume value even when it’s not obvious. We build upon each other’s works instead of blocking. Where time has always been a constraint, we try to seek the best way forward, not perfection. We make decisions together and provided encouragement and feedback for each other to work on. However, perhaps the one thing we could improve upon was to plan ahead and better communication. After all, developing trust takes time. All in all, it was a good experience.