Film Collaboration Overview

1st Update: 18.03.16
2nd Update: 23.03.16
3rd Update: 23.04.16
4th Update: 03.04.16
5th Update: 19.04.16

Slide01Slide02

We explored locations outside Norwich City, as well discussed the challenges of overlaying human form with landscape into an abstract.we would need to find models to incorporate into the projection.Slide03Slide05Slide06

Lucy’s references come from Doug Aitkens Altered Earth- captured constantly changing landscapes through constantly changing projections on giant suspended screens, creating its own landscape in turn. An almost holographic view of a physical landscape, as well as Marco Sosa – An intersection of two spaces. Analog footage is captured as a projection rather than a digitised version, as a way to record the moving images as ephemeral objects and imperfection of the medium with the light, the wall and the sound of the projector.

While my references were drawn from the True Detectives opening sequences created by Clair, the creative director of Elastic, the Los Angeles production design studio – As an inspiration for Double exposure/projection onto the human form; Norfolk landscape photographer Steve Docwra’s works, as well as David Stoddart, Nick Oats and James Carrel.

Slide07Slide08Slide09

We went out to Mousehold Heath for an evening recce, before the actual location shoot. Some of the technical challenges of replicating the rough cut still images into video form were the hassle of utilising the kaleidoscope mirror outdoors. In addition to the weather forecast and location scouting, there are also certain math and coordinations involved in shooting time-lapse sequences. Certain locations were slightly dangerous on my risk assessment.Slide10

The planning was such that the we categorised the process into three phases. First was the actual location shoot. Next, I had to set up the sequences in a dark room and reshoot again. Last but not least, was to project the contents onto a wall and film again, in juxtaposition with a human element.

Slide14

Slide15Slide16Slide17

Test 6

After a series of experiments reshooting the sequences, I realised twilight sequences worked much better than the day time.

Slide19

Final Result

form2

 

Slide18

The process of the film collaboration with Lucy has been an enriching experience. We managed to overcome many technical challenges as a team and quickly learnt that sharing of vital information across disciplines would beneficial in the collaboration group, addressing any conflict of schedules where necessary.

By patiently explaining the capabilities of my field of work as well as its limits to my film partner, I have established objectives and workflows earlier on, laying down as much research material in the proposal document and categorically. I have also set up a guideline of media output for better workflow efficiency. This gives us a clearer understanding of film collaboration work. This is also evident during the presentation with our peers. Throughout various outdoor locations, we maintained constant communication, considered risk assessments and raised concerns for discussion.

For my part of the collaboration process, in which I have contributed more than ten test shot sequences with more than 2,500 raw files. I have had identified the amount of time needed to deliver my part of the work and advised accordingly throughout the collaboration process, even to the extent of responding to last minute requests and deliver the materials as required, even at 12 am. This demonstrates my efficiency in resolving technical issues after post process, reflecting my flexibility and open-mindedness in working out feasible solutions even on the last hour of the deadline submission

In response to her stress over her assignments, I had taken the initiative to encourage her by offering assistance and support for the collaboration work, if required, as well as offered my personal camera slider for her peruse.

The final sequence was quite interesting itself. I had not thought that a time-lapse sequence could be further developed in this way. Although I had no part in the filming process, Lucy was able to zoom in on certain portions of the sequence and yet retain its quality.

What we could have improved upon was perhaps be more communicative and encouraging to my collaboration partner, to be able to understand the context of the situation and be more sensitive to the choice of words when giving feedbacks. The video could be improved if there was a proper opening and ending title sequence.

For a more in-depth progress of our works, click here.
For my reflection on this collaboration project, click here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s